Wednesday, August 8, 2012

I Heart Ikea!

Can I just say I am SOOOOOOO glad we decided to add a second floor to our house??  We spend most of our days up there taking refuge from the 100 degree temps outside.  Without the playroom, the downstairs of our house would be a disaster.  Now we are virtually toy-less on the main floor, and if the upstairs is a mess, I don't care because no one has to look at it!

After our big trip to Ikea in May, Kyle and I got busy with our little Allen wrenches and put together all kinds of furniture.  We had an entire entertainment center, a couch (yes! you have to put the couch together!), little tables and chairs, toy storage units, a dresser and a nightstand to assemble.

Voila!  Here's the (almost) completed playroom.  The bookshelves are made from vinyl rain gutters and the magnetic board is a $12 oil drip pan from WalMart (thanks Pinterest!).  The big red couch with the chaise lounge came from... you guessed it, Ikea!  I am not sure if any other couch this size would have fit up our stairway.  Fortunately for us, it came it about 5 different pieces that could be carried up one at a time.

Behind the couch, we have some soft floor tiles and a great toy storage unit from Ikea.  It has evenly spaced rails and you can customize it with plastic drawers of whatever size and color you desire.  There is a little reading nook next to the book shelves.  Maisey and Gardner love that green chair and are often seen physically fighting for a seat on it.

Here's the entertainment center with lots of storage for toys, DVDs, etc.  I have been super happy with the cork flooring too.  It is quiet, softer to sit and stand on than wood, and not slippery.
I opted for two small tables pushed together to make one larger workspace.  I have a feeling Malloy will enjoy playing school in a few years and these little tables can become desks for her pupils, Gardner and Maisey.  On the wall above the table, I plan to do some sort of dry erase or chalkboard and find a cute way to display all of the kids' works of art.
The playroom would not be complete with a life size Hairy Dawg Fathead.  He stands guard next to the mini fridge, which fortunately has a lock on it.  Otherwise the children would be helping themselves to Capri Suns and Diet Dr. Peppers all day.  We also love having a microwave in the kitchenette.  We make popcorn every afternoon for a snack and for entertainment.  The babies love watching it pop.  

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

that is an awesome playroom! thanks for sharing your sources too...will have to keep a few things in mind for the future. good work!