Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Spring Break 2014

Grandma and Papa are always up for an adventure, so they suggested we go to Dallas for Spring Break.  After our chilly week in San Antonio last year, we knew that an indoor pool at the hotel was a necessity.  It came in handy as a late afternoon activity, but I didn't take any photos of us swimming.  It was an action packed week.  In fact, I am exhausted just looking at all of the 400 photos we took that week.

Day One - We got off to a late start after a snafu with the car seat that required an emergency trip to the fire station.  Luckily, the friendly firemen were able to get the booster seat out that was stuck and I sent a long e-mail to Britax explaining how they almost ruined our trip.  Once we finally hit the road, it only took us 3 hours to get to our destination.  We checked in and then headed to IHOP for lunch.  After lunch, we went to Fort Worth for the afternoon.

Saturday - Fort Worth Museum of Science and History

The girls' favorite activity was taking care of babies in the pretend hospital

Gardner loved the giant Tinker Toys and the giant Curious George


After the museum, we went to the Papini's house for dinner.  I'll do a separate post on that.  It was great to catch up with old friends!

Day Two 

Sunday - Six Flags Over Texas

It was COLD.  Six Flags was only open on the weekend, so Sunday was our only option.  It opened at 10:00 and that's when we got there.  The temperature was around 40 degrees but eventually it warmed up into the 50's.


The children's area was not crowded.  As you can see, they literally had it ALL TO THEMSELVES.  They could ride the rides over and over again.  Sometimes, they didn't even get off.  The ride operator just did a seat belt check and let them ride over and over.  As I was cursing the cold weather, I was remembering in the back of my mind how much more miserable I would be in 110 degree heat with long, long lines.





I don't have many pictures of Malloy because she and Kyle headed off to the "big" rides.  Her favorite were the Texas SkyScreamer swings which were 400 feet in the air and La Vibora - a roller coaster that road in a tube instead of on tracks.  She went on the Texas Giant, Pandemonium, and the Judge Roy Scream (four times).  Since there were no lines, Kyle, my dad and I went on the Superman - Tower of Power.  We were blasted up 32 stories and then we hung out up there before being dropped 325 feet.  I will not be doing that again!


Day Three 

Monday - Dallas Arboretum

My favorite day of Spring Break was spent at the Dallas Arboretum and Children's Garden.  The weather was great and the scenery was magnificent.



First we enjoyed a picnic lunch.




On Mondays, they offer free face painting.  Malloy was a blue princess.

Gardner was a scary tiger.

Maisey was a sweet kitty cat.

I tried to get the girls to pose in front of the tulips and this is what I got.



The kids were not too cooperative for photos, but this is one of the only ones that I am in.



The pictures really don't do it justice.  The flowers and landscaping were amazing.

We headed back over to the Children's Garden and the kids loved the hands on activities.

Gardner's favorite was shooting water at the targets.

They had fun in the tornado simulator.

Gardner enjoyed flipping the solar panels.  When they got direct sunlight, the fountain behind him would spray higher.  It is an awesome hands on science center for kids.  I will definitely go back again.


Day Four

Tuesday - Fort Worth Zoo

We crossed back over to Fort Worth on Tuesday for a trip to the zoo.




A highlight was feeding the birds.  They were very friendly.





Maisey got an unreasonable large single scoop of ice cream.



 We finished the day off with a ride on the zoo's train.

Oh, look!  I am in another picture.


Day Five

Wednesday - American Girl Store

Malloy's friend, Caroline, was celebrating her 7th birthday with lunch at the American Girl store.  We got there early and did a little shopping.  Malloy purchased and immediately put on this dress.  The Doll of the Year for 2014, Isabel, is on her wish list.

Saige had an appointment in the hair salon.

The girls enjoyed a birthday lunch in the Bistro




Wednesday afternoon - Lego Land Discovery Center

Malloy and I returned from our American Girl adventure right as the twins were waking up from their only nap of the week.  We headed over to Grapevine to the Lego Land Discovery Center.




There were a couple of cute activities for the kids, but overall I would rate Lego Land as my least favorite attraction of the trip.  It was not crowded, so the kids got to ride on the two rides a few times.  You can see that I dominated Gardner 6015 to 1015.





Sea Life Aquarium

Our last stop was at the Sea Life Aquarium.  It's located in the Grapevine Mill Mall across the hall from Lego Land.  It's a nice little aquarium that you can make your way through in an hour or less.














Whew!  I am exhausted just thinking about all that we did.  It was a busy week, but a lot of fun.  I mentioned that the twins only took a nap once all week.  Here's how every other day ended...












 You would think that after such busy days, they would go right to sleep at night.  Well, you would be WRONG.


No comments: