This has been a pretty exciting week around here. Maisey rolled over for the first time, both babies slept through the night, they started eating oatmeal cereal, and Malloy had her first dance recital. Some define "sleeping through the night" as 7-8 hours of continuous sleep. I don't really like that definition - especially when the 7 hours ends at 3 am and you have to get out of bed to feed a baby. I think of it as being fed, going to bed, and not being fed again until the sun is up. As I mentioned in the last post, Maisey was ready to sleep all night. I had been waking her up to keep her on the same schedule as Gardner. Sunday night, Maisey slept for 11 hours. She probably could have gone longer but I heard her making some noise around 7 am and was sure she must be starving. It turns out, she can go for 12 hours without eating and so can Gardner. After going to the doctor on Monday and hearing her tell me that they have plenty of fat on them and definitely do not "need" a middle of the night feeding, I decided that I would have to cut off Gardner's 3 am food supply. I am happy to report that for the last 4 nights, he has gone to bed at 8 pm and not been fed again any earlier than 7:30 am. He has woken up at 4 or 5 am and we have just put the pacifier in his mouth (repeatedly) and he has gone back to sleep. Maisey usually makes some noise between 6 and 7 am, but she goes back to sleep if you just let her fuss for a few minutes and I get her up at 8 am. She sucks her thumb so she has a built in pacifier. Also, Gardner is no longer sleeping in the Nap Nanny. His first night lying flat in the crib was not so great. I think he felt a little strange and unconfined. On night two, I swaddled him up tight and he did much better. He is on Prevacid again and doesn't seem to be having any pain related to his reflux when lying down.
We started feeding the babies a little bit of oatmeal cereal at their 4 pm feeding. They are still really messy and not quite sure what to make of this foreign substance being shoved in their mouths. So far, we are just feeding it to them once a day until they get the hang of it. I am not in a big hurry to start feeding baby food. After introducing the oatmeal this week, I am reminded of how long it takes to feed babies and how much longer it is going to take to feed TWO!
Gardner is actually not the thumb sucker. It is Maisey that always has her thumb in her mouth while she is sleeping. I don't know what got in to him the other day. He just popped that thumb right in there without any trouble. I wish he would start doing that in the middle of the night!
Malloy's first dance recital was on Saturday. She did a great job and seemed to really enjoy being in front of an audience. The stage makeup and required hair style were a little challenging, but after doing it for two dress rehearsals and the actual recital, I finally got the hang of it.
Malloy is in the front row, third one from the right
No comments:
Post a Comment