Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Birthday Girl

It's hard to believe, but Malloy is 4! Yesterday we celebrated from sun up to sun down. She was so excited about her birthday this year. She came running into our bedroom at 6:45 to tell us that it was her birthday. We were thrilled :)

We started out the day with a celebration at Malloy's school. She got to wear a special crown and be the leader on the way to chapel. She also got to go up on the altar and hold the flag while they said the pledge and sang "God Bless America". Back in the classroom, we had a special birthday snack of Krispy Kreme donuts. The class sang "Happy Birthday" and she blew out her candles.

The birthday girl was hard at work before her birthday celebrations began.



Malloy got to choose the blessing for the day.

"Happy Birthday" and donuts

Showing everyone how old she is

After school, we had her birthday party at our house. It seemed like Malloy's birthday sort of snuck up on me this year (I wonder why?) and I kept meaning to pick a date for her party, get invitations, etc. Well, before you knew it, all of my friends with children born in May had their parties scheduled and their invitations out. I didn't want my failure to plan to dampen Malloy's birthday fun, so last Wednesday, I just decided we were having a good old fashioned birthday party on her actual birthday. There were no printed invitations - I texted or e-mailed my friends. There were no fancy cupcakes either - I got a sheet cake at Sam's Club and decorated it myself. The weather was not ideal (high of 60 degrees after weeks of temperatures around 80), but at least it didn't rain on us. Malloy didn't seem to notice that it had all been thrown together at the last minute. Her only request was for everyone to wear pajamas. Despite the weather and late notice, we had about 30-40 kids at the party. Pretty good turnout for a Monday afternoon.

The snowcone truck came and the kids got to put the flavoring on themselves with spouts on the side of the truck. Did I mention it was only 60 degrees??

The birthday girl was excited when Daddy got home and joined in the fun.











Since this was a last minute invite, and because Malloy has more toys than any child would ever need, I requested that her guests not bring gifts. Her classmates surprised us by making a donation to Shriner's Hospital for Children in honor of Malloy. How sweet! She still had plenty of presents to open from her family. She got the dress, flip flops and crown she is wearing below. A double stroller for her twins, "Kit" the American Girl doll, a pink microphone, a silky nightgown, and some Barbies.

Modeling her new nightgown

Gardner was excited about celebrating his big sister's birthday!

2 comments:

francesca said...

Happy Birthday Malloy!

francesca said...

Happy Birthday Malloy!