Sunday, December 5, 2010

They Call it "Nesting"

The count down is on, yet the nursery has been in a state of disarray for several weeks. There were two assembled cribs and even recently completed bedding, but there were also piles of clothes and baby stuff everywhere. The closet was full of Malloy's clothes that she had outgrown. While it looked like it was close to being ready - it was really a disaster.


So the "nesting" began this weekend!

"What is Nesting?

Nesting is the term used to refer to an expectant mother's instinct which gives her a surge of energy which prompts her to clean and do various chores around her home. Nesting usually arises as the mother nears her due date.

What Do Some Women Do When They Are Nesting?

Each woman will nest in a way that is unique to them. Below is a list of possible things a nesting mother do.

  • Clean out the cabinets
  • Mop the floor
  • Rearrange furniture
  • Clean out closets
  • Clean a child’s nursery meticulously
  • Steam clean upholstery and carpets
  • Clean the bathroom
  • Stock the kitchen with food
  • Cook

While these may seem like normal household chores, when a woman is nesting, she will probably carry out the tasks more meticulously and persistently than usual.

I copied that definition from a website, and I while I did not experience a "burst of energy", I did clean out some closets, rearrange furniture, and meticulously clean the nursery this weekend. I also had to clean out two hall closets to accommodate all of the clothes and shoes that have been handed down to Malloy or that are going to be handed down to Baby Girl. This left me wondering whether I was about to go into premature labor from all of the lifting, bending, squatting and carrying. After getting the room 95% complete, the nesting instinct took me on a 9:00 pm run to Walmart and Target (for more nesting supplies) where I seriously considered using one of those motorized wheelchairs. I was worn out!

Now, I can officially say that the nursery and closet (not necessarily the people living in the house) are ready for the twins. The blankets and preemie clothing have been washed, the beds are made, and we even have some diapers.

We have lots of pink and blue clothes. All of Malloy's hand-me-downs for baby sister have been sorted, labeled and stored.

Let me tell you - I cannot wait to get all of these clothes out of my house as soon as these babies outgrow them!
We have two cribs and a place to feed the babies
Below is Baby Boy's crib. This was Malloy's bedding. Since we didn't find out if she was a boy or a girl, I went for something neutral the first time around.
Below is Baby Girl's crib. When I had the second set of bedding made, I was going to go for an exact copy of the original bedding. However, since I know there will be a little girl sleeping here, it is a little more "girly" with ruffles, polka dot bows and a different bed skirt.



No comments: