Friday, October 30, 2009

Sewing Projects

Almost two years ago, I took a sewing class to learn how to make a "Jumper in a Day". Today, I outdid myself by making 2 jumpers in about 3 hours. You can't really tell from the picture, but they are corduroy. After I cut out the patterns, I took the front pieces to my friend's monogramming store and she did the turkey and reindeer appliques. While Malloy watched a few episodes of Dora and during part of her afternoon nap, I completed the two dresses. Malloy can start wearing the turkey dress once we get past Halloween.

While I had my sewing machine out (taking up the entire dining room with all of my fabric and sewing junk) I got motivated to finish making the bedding for Malloy's "big girl bed". I made these two pillow shams this afternoon/evening and I made the bedskirt a few weekends ago. I finally got around to purchasing and installing the bed rails, so now the bed is officially ready for Malloy. I told her that she could not sleep in it until she was a "big girl" which means potty trained. I would say she is officially potty trained now so she is eligible to begin sleeping in it. She attempted to take her nap in it today, but I think it was too exciting for her and after she climbed out I put her back in her crib and she slept for 2 hours. I am definitely not pushing her to get out of her crib because she sleeps very well in it!
Brown polka dot pillow shams with striped ruffle. The bedskirt is also made from the stripe. I did not make the white pillow. It was a baby gift for Malloy from my friend, Hannah, but it works perfectly in her new bedroom too.
I think the bed might still need more pillows.

3 comments:

Mama Mia said...

Molly - that is so precious! I am so impressed with your sewing skills! And inspired! Maybe one day I'll take up sewing....but until then I'll just admire your work! Can't wait to see Malloy in her cute jumpers! And her halloween costume(s) were adorable. hope she had fun! Jennifer (nosy neighbor - hee, hee) DeFatta

The Seviers said...

Wow! I am impressed! Where did you take the sewing class? And what monogram place does those cute appliques?

Francesca and Mark said...

I'm impressed! Not only with your sewing capabilities, but also with the fact that you've got a little girl that sleeps for two hours in the afternoon! I'm very jealous.